Match Reports

Kill U7 Footballers beat St. Edwards 5-08 to 4-06
Kill under 7's footballers had a very impressive win over St. Edwards when the two sides met in Rathcoffey on the 21/09/2013 with a score line of 5-08 to 4-06.
well done to all involved. 
Kill 4-14 Cappagh 9-09

Cappagh hosted Kill in a re-arranged U14 D league match on Sunday 26 May last. On a beautiful sunny Sunday morning the small number of supporters of both teams were treated to an enthralling and high scoring game that saw Cappagh eventually take the spoils. Cappagh started comfortably notching 1-2 to no reply in the first 10 minutes. Kill then settled into their stride with the tireless Jack Myles driving forward from the half back line combining well with Darragh Doyle and Luke Doyle in midfield. In turn, they were able to put their forwards in positions where they soon whittled away and overtook Cappagh's lead. Kill ended the first half with a three point margin in their favour. This however was quickly clawed back after the re-start with skill and determination in evidence throughout the pitch from the home team. Not to be out-done Kill regained the lead for a while but it changed several more times before the end. Niall Stenson upon coming off the bench for Kill was unlucky to see his strike on goal rebound of the cross bar. Jake Nolan showed immense composure with a penalty kick to drive the ball past the Cappagh goal keeper's outstretched arms and regain the lead for Kill. With five minutes to go the visitors were a point up. Cappagh then went on a goal spree and despite some points in response from a feisty Kill team Cappagh won by a score of 9-9 to 4-14. The margin could have been higher but for the excellent goal keeping display of Kill's stand-in goal keeper on the day, Eoin Murphy. Man of the Match for kill with an exemplary display at left corner back was Adam Gallagher.


Ballykelly were hosts to Kill in this u14 D football league clash. The hosts started well creating a number of opportunities early on which they were unlucky not to register scores from. Against the run of play Darragh Doyle put Kill on the scoreboard with a well taken point. This was followed shortly after by a goal and point from Arran Croke. Scores were traded by both sides until half time when Kill led 1-6 to 1-2. After the break Ballykelly piled on the pressure and scored three excellent points from well worked moves originating from their excellent midfield duo. Derry Lenehan, Dlyan Johnson and David Hackett and the rest of the Kill defence worked hard to reduce this menace. The visitors then responded with several well taken points but Ballykelly's never-say-die attitude saw them level the game with a few minutes remaining. Almost immediately and under intense pressure, Kill moved the ball through midfield and out to Eoin Finneran at left half forward. He carried the ball up to the end line and then from amidst a melee of players the ball was shot across the goal. Sean Connolly at right full forward popped up and slotted the ball into the back of the net for Kill to regain the lead. Just prior the final whistle Kill scored the proverbial 'insurance' point. This highly entertaining game of football ended with a score-line of 2-10 to 3-3 in Kill’s favour. Man of the match for Kill was Gavin Walsh whose excellent goalkeeping kept Ballykelly at bay on more than one occasion.


Kill 1-15 Robertstown 1-07

Kill responded well to last weeks defeat in Straffan by running out comfortable winners against Robertstown at Kill GAA. Jack Healy gave a masterful display of high fielding and alongside midfield partner Dara Challoner dominated this territory for the majority of the 60 minutes. John O'Brien added another 5 points to his tally for the season and is having a great first season in the senior ranks.

Playing up the hill but with the wind at their backs Kill put in a dominant first half display and but for a softly conceded goal might have kept the visitors scoreless. Kill scored 10 points during the half and it was encouraging to find scores from play from Ronan Kelly (half back), Dara Challoner (midfield), Luke Purcell and John O'Brien x 3 (half forwards) Alan Wren and Tony Spain (full forwards). A couple of well taken free's from John O'Brien kept the visitors in check.
HT - Kill 0-10 Robertstown 1-00.

Playing into the wind in the second half Kill played a short lateral passing game that gave Robertstown problems in gaining possession. Their frustration spilt over on a number of occasions with a series of cynical fouls. It was a credit to Gay Campbells charges that they didn't react but stayed focussed on the task at hand.

These tactics were to pay off with a number of flowing moves resulting in well taken scores in particular a well finished goal from Kevin Corrigan who had another excellent game. Kill made a number of changes and took the foot of the gas in the last quarter giving the visitors the opportunity of gaining some respectability which they did by notching up 4 points during this period.

The game finished 1-15 to 1-07 in Kills favour. This win pushes Kill up to 5th in the table and was a good boost as the next game up is the Championship versus Caragh on May 12th in Sallins at 3pm.

It was great to see an increase in the support on Sunday and it's greatly appreciated by the management and players. Also to note was that we kept our discipline on the sideline as well as on the field so well done to all.

Kill - Brian Caul, Jody Gilhooly, Shane O'Hagan, Robbie Spain, Kevin Corrigan, Mick Skelton, Ronan Kelly, Jack Healy, Dara Challoner, Luke Purcell, John O'Brien, Stephen O'Leary, Alan Wren, Tony Spain, Davy O'Kelly.

Subs Used - Kevin Cooney, Kevin Crowe, Ray Davis, Alan Gilger, Mark Gleeson.

Scores - John O'Brien 0-05 (2 frees), Tony Spain 0-04 (2 frees), Kevin Corrigan 1-00, Dara Challoner 0-02, Luke Purcell, Ronan Kelly, Alan Wren, Kevin Cooney 0-01 each.

Straffan 1-11 Kill 1-07

Kill Seniors lost their unbeaten start to the league season in Straffan with a lethargic second half display. The first half, played in a strong cross-wind, was competitive and it was the visitors who held the upper hand in the early exchanges running up 1-02 against 0-02 after 10 minutes. Tony Spain scoring 1-01 with John O'Brien adding the other.

Kill were well in control of the game at this stage and had opportunities to add to the goal tally but failed to convert. This allowed Straffan to slowly build their way into the game which they did with 3 unanswered points to bring the game level. Kill responded well before half time with a Stephen O'Leary point from play plus a Tony Spain free to leave it 1-05 to 0-05 at the break.

The second half started brightly for Kill with John O'Brien adding a good point from play. However Straffan were to take control of the game from this point with their full forward line getting good supply from midfield areas. They took advantage and blitzed the Kill goal with 1-04 in a 10 minute spell to put them 4 ahead. Kills only response coming from another Tony Spain free.

The work ethic, encouragement and support play that Kill had demonstrated in earlier games was missing today. Straffan added 2 more points before the end to leave it Straffan 1-11 Kill 1-07.

A disappointing match for both management and players particularly having been in a strong position at half time. With a number of players returning next week a bounce back against Robertstown will get the season back on track. The added incentive of the championship being 2 weeks away should in itself lift the players as management start to decide on the lineup.

Next match is Sunday 28th April against Robertstown at 3pm in Kill GAA. Please get down to support the team.

Senior Match Report 13.04.2013.
Kill Dig Deep to Beat Ballyteague

Kill Seniors continued their impressive start to the league season with a 2 point victory over Ballyteague on a windswept evening at Kill GAA.
Kill 1-09 Ballyteague 0-10

This was always going to be a tough encounter for Kill Seniors as the panel was depleted for this game due the unavailability of a number of players. Sam Temple started at full back with Kevin Corrigan going to centre half flanked by Kevin Crowe and Luke Purcell. Robbie Spain joined Dara Challoner in midfield and John O’Brien moved out to wing forward leaving Stephen O’Leary in the corner with Tony Spain returning at full forward.
Kill playing with the advantage of the slope and wind in the first half got out of the traps early with good points from play from Alan Wren and Stephen O’Leary. Ballyteague still hadn’t settled into the game when after 8 minutes a great forward passing move involving Tony Spain and John O’Brien presented Davy O’Kelly with the simplest of opportunities to finish to the net and put Kill 5 in front. It was a move straight off the training ground and brilliantly executed.

 Ballyteague landed their first score with a point from play after 15 minutes with John O’Brien responding 3 minutes later with a well taken score. Kill were dominant at this stage of the game and should have reflected on the scoreboard but poor distribution into the full forward line was responsible as the movement of Alan Wren, Tony Spain and Stephen O’Leary was causing problems.
The last 10 minutes of the half was a much more even affair with Ballyteague gaining some control around the middle third which they to converted to 3 points before the interval. Importantly for Kill they still managed to carve out a couple of good points of their own through Alan Wren and Tony Spain. The half time scoreline read Kill 1-06 Ballyteague 0-04.

 Kill had it all to do in the second half as the elements were now in the oppositions favour. Similar to the Ellistown game Kill changed their shape with Tony Spain pushing out to the 45 allowing the half forward line to drop deeper to support the midfield. Kill started the half brightly playing with good width and support play. This was rewarded with an early Tony Spain free followed soon after by another from play from the leading marksman. It was at this point however with some 25 minutes left that Ballyteague finally found some rhythm to their play. They rattled off 4 unanswered points from play in the next 15 minute spell of the game and it was a time when Kill needed to dig in a steady the ship.
Kill responded by putting Mick Skelton in at centre half back with Kevin Corrigan effectively operating as a third midfielder. This had an immediate impact as following a good period of possession from deep a foul in the opposition full backline gave Tony Spain a simple tap over free for his 5th point of the evening. Kill had great chance to put the game out of reach when a great pass from midfield put Alan Wren through on goal but his effort went wide of the left hand post.

 Ballyteague battled on in what proved to be a nervy but determined last 8 minutes for the home side. Ballyteague added a couple more points during this period to close the gap to just 2. Bryan Caul came to his teams rescue during this period with a couple of great point blank saves and this was to prove crucial to the result. This determination was reflective of Kills desire for the result and they hung on to get one they deserved. The final score was Kill 1-09 Ballyteague 0-10.

 This was a very rewarding performance for Kill given the number of personnel and positional changes made to the starting line-up. The hard work put in by the panel on the training ground was evident and particularly pleasing was the belief to see the game out to the end and get the result. The depth of the panel was also evident with Ross Doyle coming on for his first appearance of the season and doing an effective job in the full forward line.

 Kill now move up to 4th in the league having secured their second win of the season and remain one of four unbeaten teams. Particularly pleasing is that against Ellistown, Eadestown and Ballyteague last season we registered no points whereas we have 5 for our efforts this year. So a good start to the season continues and it’s off to Straffan next Sunday for what promises to be another close encounter.
It was great for the players to see growing support on the sidelines as this can really help when the going gets tough. Management would like to encourage supporters to give ‘positive’ feedback to the players as this is proven to be the most effective communication in delivering performance and results. We hope to see as many of you as possible in Straffan next Sunday.

Kill - Brain Caul, Jody Gilhooly, Sam Temple, Ronan Kelly, Luke Purcell, Kevin Corrigan, Kevin Crowe, Robbie Spain, Dara Challoner, John O’Brien, Mark Gleeson, Davy O’Kelly, Alan Wren, Tony Spain, Stephen O’Leary.
Subs Used – Mick Skelton, Ross Doyle
Scores – Tony Spain 0-05 (3 frees), Davy O’Kelly 1-00, Alan Wren 0-02, John O’Brien 0-01, Stephen O’Leary 0-01.


Kill Earn Draw to Remain Unbeaten

Eadestown  0-12  Kill 1-09

Kill Seniors managed to come from behind twice to earn a point in a tightly contested local derby with Eadestown. Both teams will be thinking that they left something behind but neither team did enough to deserve the win. Kill will be the happier however as they remain unbeaten after three games whereas Eadestown registered their first point of the season. 

Kill lined out without the Spain brothers (away at a family wedding) and reshuffled the pack from last weeks match versus Ellistown. Shane O'Hagan started wing back and was joined on the other side by Kevin Crowe. Luke Purcell moved up to the half forwards with Kevin Cooney joining Alan Wren and John O'Brien in a reshaped full forward line.

Kill had an Alan Wren point on the board within the first minute but is was a full 25 minutes before they were to register again. During this period Eadestown opened up a five point lead by stringing together four points from play and two from frees. It was a poor period for Kill who had four wides and an inexplicable miss from a 21 meter free in front of goal.

A good 4 minute period up to half time put Kill back in the game with 2 well taken John O'Brien frees and a nice team move finished with a Mark Gleeson point.  Cian Bolton, who was well marshalled by Kevin Corrigan, managed to get a late point for the home side to leave it Eadestown 0-07 Kill 0-04 at the break.

The first 15 minutes of the second half was poor fair from both sides with 4 points being shared leaving Kill trailing by 3 entering the last quarter. Kill then got the lift they needed when following a good move down the right the ball was met by Davy O'Kellys fist and sent over three defenders into the net from the edge of the square. It was instinctive opportunism from Davy and seemed to swing momentum Kills way when they added a point 2 minutes later to take the lead for the first time.

Kill should have pushed on but some poor decision making in defence allowed the home side back into the match and they added 3 unanswered points to put them 2 in front with just 2 minutes remaining. To give Kill credit they never gave up and pushed to the end and that belief was to pay off with 2 late John O'Brien frees saving the unbeaten start to the season.

A strange game in many ways with neither team being able to maintain a sustained period of control.  Not too many players stood out for Kill on the day but Ronan Kelly continued his fine form in the full back line and young John O'Brien showed great attitude and free taking ability in the forwards.

Gay Campbell and the management will be disappointed the team didn't build on last weeks performance against Ellistown. In particular the quality of kick passing and support play was not up to the standard required at this level. On the positive side the team showed great character to come back and claim the draw and that never say die attitude is a quality in itself.

Next weeks  game is at home to Ballyteague. The date and time TBC as Kildare Senior Footballers are involved in a National League semi-final. Please get down to support the lads (it makes a difference) and they would be delighted if you joined them in the clubhouse after the game for refreshments. The details will be posted later in the week. 

Kill - Bryan Caul, Jody Gilhooly, Kevin Corrigan, Ronan Kelly, Kevin Crowe, Mick Skelton, Shane O'Hagan, Jack Healy, Dara Challoner, Luke Purcell, Davy O'Kelly, Mark Gleeson, John O'Brien, Alan Wren, Kevin Cooney.

Subs Used – Frankie Kilkelly ,  Stephen O’Leary,  Donal O’Kelly,  Sam Temple

Scores - John O'Brien 0-07 (6 frees), Davy O'Kelly 1-00, Alan Wren 0-01, Mark Gleeson 0-01




Early Second Half Goals Seal It For Kill

Kill 3-06 Ellistown 1-05   

Kill won their first league game of the season with an impressive display against Ellistown at a chilly Kill GAA on Easter Sunday. There were a couple of changes from the drawn game against Sallins with Kevin Corrigan moving to full back to pick up former Kildare Intercounty Player Ken Donnelly and Luke Purcell switching to the half back line. Jack Healy made his season debut at midfield and management selected a new look half forward line of Mark Gleeson, Davy O'Kelly and Stephen O'Leary.

Kill playing 'down the hill' and with the wind made the better start but it was 8 minutes in before we had the opening score when Stephen O'Leary slotted a point from a 25 meter free wide on the right. Ellistown won plenty of midfield possession but were finding it difficult to get the ball into their forward line with the Kill full back line of Jody Gilhooly, Kevin Corrigan and Ronan Kelly impressive. Kill then pointed from another free this time from the left by Tony Spain.

The next score came in the 12th minute and was to change the tone of the game. Stephen O'Leary picking the ball up 20 meters out on the right turned inside his marker took a solo and slammed the ball to the back of the net with his left foot. It was a great effort and gave Kill a confidence boost and the only surprise was that they didn't score more before half time. A Tony Spain free (17 min) and a fine point from play by Davy O’Kelly (23 min) before the break left the score 1-04 to 0-00.

Anticipating a response from Ellistown in the second half Kill changed to a two man inside forward line and increased their numbers around the middle. The strategy was to pay off big time and during the first 15 minutes of the half they played their best football of the season. A combination of good width and support play created all sorts of problems for the Ellistown backs and the pressure told. After Tony Spain added his 3rd point a fine team move involving Mark Gleeson, John O'Brien and Alan Wren was finished off by Davy O'Kelly who made a fine run from deep. This seemed to unsettle Ellistown and they still hadn't recovered when 4 minutes later after some confusion in the away teams defence Tony Spain picked up the scraps to add Kills 3rd goal.

With 43 minutes gone it was 3-05 to no score. John O'Brien added a great point from play 3 minutes later and this proved to be Kills last score. In the last 15 minutes Kill emptied the bench which possibly disrupted their play as Ellistown scored 1-05 during this period with no reply.

For 47 minutes of this game Kill played some great football and the management team must have been particularly pleased with the work rate and attitude. Kevin Corrigan did an outstanding job at full back and Mick Skelton was the spring board for many attacks from the half back line supported by Luke Purcell. The forwards worked hard to create space and both Mark Gleeson and Alan Wren, whilst not getting on the scoreboard, can be pleased with their day’s effort. A special mention for Ronan Kelly who put in an outstanding display having just arrived back from New York on Sunday morning.
So it's the 'local derby' next with a trip to Eadestown on Saturday 6th April time tbc. 3 points out of a possible 4 is a good start and a win over the 'auld enemy' would make it even better.

The team and club wishes all the best to Jack Purcell as he heads of to Boston for a year and we look forward to seeing him back in club colours next season. Also the best of luck to Shane O'Hagan and the Kildare U21's in their Leinster Final against Longford on Wednesday great to see the club continuing to be represented at this level. 

Kill Team - Brian Caul, Jody Gilhooly, Kevin Corrigan, Ronan Kelly, Luke Purcell, Mick Skelton, Robbie Spain, Jack Healy, Dara Chandler, Mark Gleeson, Davy O'Kelly, Stephen O'Leary, Alan Wren, Tony Spain, and John O'Brien.
Subs - Jack Purcell, Paul Kirwin, Alan Gilger, Ross Doyle, Nathan Fitzharris, Shane Molyneaux

Scorers - Tony Spain 1-03 (2 frees), Stephen O'Leary 1-01 (1 free), Davy O'Kelly 1-01, John O'Brien 0-01




Senior League Div. 2

Sallins 2-08

Kill 0-14
Kill Seniors began their 2013 Kildare Senior Football League Division 2 campaign with a draw away to Sallins. There was an unfortunate end to the game however with Sallins getting a goal with the last play to level it up. The Sallins management admitted afterwards that they got out of jail big time. 
However there was a lot for Gay Campbell and the new management team to be happy about as just a few weeks ago the team left Sallins well beaten in the Keogh Cup so it was quite a turnaround. Kill got out of the traps early with Kevin Corrigan and Dara Chandler taking early control of the midfield. Some inventive forward play by two of the newcomers Luke Purcell and John O'Brien assisted Kill getting a 4 point lead. During this period the experience of Tony Spain was evident in setting the tone as the forwards all worked hard to win turnover ball. 
Sallins were struggling to break down a resolute Kill back line with Shane O'Hagan marshalling the troops well from full back. However there was a setback midway through the first half when Sallins broke at speed down the left and finished it with a great shot past a helpless Brian Caul. It got Sallins to within a point but Kill kept their composure with Robbie Spain starting to get the half back line moving. The half ended Kill 0-07 Sallins 1-03. 
The management made a number of pre-determined changes at half time to try and give as many guys as possible an early season run. Stephen O'Leary and Alan Wren came into the forward line. Both players were to get second half points as Kill continued to dominant the middle third with Mick Skelton having more of an influence and linking up play. There were some great passages of movement and play from Kill during the mid-part of the half which opened up a 4 point advantage coming into injury time. Sallins narrowed to a single score when heartbreak struck. The last play of the game saw a hopeful punt into the square and the ball broke to Sallins midfielder Mark Donnelly who palmed into the net for the equalising score. 
It was not a result the effort deserved for the Kill lads but lessons will be learnt for the next day. There was a lot positives to take out of the performance and the full senior debuts of Luke Purcell and John O'Brien gives encouragement for the future. It's Ellistown next on Easter Sunday at 2.30pm in Kill. Try and make it down and give the lads your support for the first home match of the season. 
Kill - Brian Caul, Jody Gilhooley, Shane O'Hagan, Ronan Kelly, Mick Skelton, Robbie Spain, Kevin Crowe, Kevin Corrigan, Dara Chandler, Luke Purcell, Mark Gleeson, Jack Purcell, John O'Brien, Tony Spain, Kevin Cooney. 
Subs - Stephen O'Leary, Alan Wren, Davy O'Kelly, Sam Temple, Ross Doyle, Frankie Kilkelly, Collie Brady. 
Scores - Tony Spain 0-05 (2 frees), John 0'Brien 0-03 (1 free), Luke Purcell 0-02, Stephen O'Leary, Alan Wren, Dara Chandler, Kevin Cooney 0-01 each